02 January 2010

Chocolate G'Morning Muffins

Yesterday afternoon Tim and I attended a New Year's Day brunch hosted by our dear friends Bonnie and Tim. It was a pot-luck brunch and since the vegan waffles were taken care of by the wonderful Alison and the soy chorizo provided for I opted for bringing homemade bagels and muffins. The bagels were extremely fun to make and seeing how it was my first time ever making a bagel I was overly pleased with the end results. Now, I did use a recipe on this first bagel attempt and it has opened the door for more vegan bagel recipes to follow. The recipe I used was from my new favorite book 500 Vegan Recipes. The recipe was for pumpkin bagels and a stated in a previous post, I love pumpkin, so naturally this was a recipe I could not resist. I did add organic cranberries to the bagels and I thought they turned out marvelous, as did many of the brunch attendees.

The muffins were a last minute addition when I realized there were not nearly enough bagels to feed the large amount of friends Bonnie and Tim have. I wanted a healthy and light muffin that still tasted fattening. The end result was my Chocolate G'Morning Muffins



Chocolate G'Morning Muffins

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 cup rice milk
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 T. canola oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

Topping
2 T. oats
2 T. turbinado sugar

Pre-heat over to 350 degrees

Combine flour, oats, cocoa powder,baking soda, baking powder and salt. In separate bowl mix rice milk, applesauce, sugar, canola oil, vanilla extract and almond extract. Add dry ingredients to wet and combine until thick mixture forms. Pour into a 12 count greased or paper lined muffin pan. Sprinkle topping on each muffin and bake 20-25 minutes.


Pumpkin Cranberry Bagels

bagel dough


boiling dough



pre-oven


toasted and ready to eat

3 comments:

  1. The muffins and bagels look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made the muffins! They were nice and light, moist and healthy! I did have to sub dutch process cocoa, so they were a beautiful dark color. I also ended up using almond milk and got really good results. These are so quick and easy to make. Thanks for posting the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. where do you get your dutch cocoa? i usually just pick up my cocoa from tj's.

    ReplyDelete