26 December 2009

Focaccia Bread




Oh, the perils of cooking a Christmas meal, so much to do, so many pallets to appeal to and so much to clean up after! I was on the verge of skipping the Christmas meal altogether until on Christmas Eve my sister said she would like to eat a vegan meal instead of the traditional turkey and ham my grandparents cook. She is new to the realm of vegetarianism and veganism and has really been rethinking her eating habits. Since I am always overly pleased to feed people vegan food and watch as their pre-conceived notions of the vegan diet melt away with their first delicious bite, I agreed to host dinner at my place. The only problem with whipping together a last minute Christmas meal was we had not gone grocery shopping and nothing was open!

After pacing around the house and wearing a circle shaped hole into my floor's carpet, I had exactly one idea. We need bread! Everyone eats bread on holidays, right? I don't know if that is necessarily true, but for the sake my sanity, I decided it was so. I felt very lucky that just five minutes beforehand I had unwrapped my present from Tim and had received the Chicago Diner Cookbook, and right in the first few pages was an easy and tasty focaccia bread recipe. I was all over that recipe in a heartbeat.





The rest of the meal came easy after that, chickpea cutlets from the Veganomicon, some delicious colorful chard, curried peas and carrots, rosemary mashed potatoes and gravy and an easy mousse for dinner. My sister was pleased, I was pleased and most of all we were stuffed! Although I am a ridiculously obsessive planner, I do enjoy the occasional last-minute meal.


Chocolate Peppermint Mousse on top of White Chocolate Macadamia Pudding

No comments:

Post a Comment