27 December 2009

Punk'in Pecan Flaxy Pancakes


I love pumpkin, I really do. I would be happy if I could eat pumpkin everyday for the rest of my life. I would have pumpkin pasta, pumpkin pudding, pumpkin soy yogurt, stuffed pumpkin and so on. Unfortunately pumpkin is not available year round, so while the season is young I buy fresh sugar pumpkins and as the season comes to an end I empty the shelves of my Trader Joe's of the canned organic pumpkin. I was a little late on grabbing my canned pumpkin this year and could only snag two! Horrifying, I know, but I have come to terms with this and decided not to hide the pumpkin in my cupboard to only use on the most special of occasions, instead I popped open a can and declared that everyday is a special occasion! I decided to use the wee bit of my pumpkin for a delicious breakfast that would determine the direction of my day, and with pumpkin pancakes in my belly, I knew the remainder of the day would be awesome! And so it was...



Punk'in Pecan Flaxy Pancakes

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup ground golden flax
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
2 T. canola oil
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup water
1 1/4 cups rice milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon hazelnut extract
2 T. raw agave nectar
1/4 cup raw pecans

In a large bowl combine flour, flax, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Then add pumpkin, water, rice milk, vanilla extract, hazelnut extract and agave. Mix to combine but do not over mix because rubbery pancakes will be the dreadful outcome. Fold pecans into batter. If pancake mixture is too thick add a bit more water until desired consistency is obtained. Heat skillet and coat with olive oil or canola oil, flick water on skillet and if it sizzles it is ready! Using a spoon or ladle pour pancake batter onto skillet and when batter begins to bubble, flip and cook opposite side. wallah! You now have yummy pancakes to chase away the boring breakfast blues.

No comments:

Post a Comment