27 July 2010

Taking On The V-Con Pt. 6



Keeping with my non-lazy theme this will be post number three for the day. I took a bit of a hiatus to help my dear friend Jefe hand his art in a local gallery. Jeff is a super talented guy and thanks to me (insert pat on the back) he is having his very first art show. His artist's reception isn't until October because it is way too hot to draw a decent crowd, but his art will be up until then...bonus! Here is a peak at his work.






pretty good, huh?

After that Timmy and I went to the fancy Whole Foods in Chandler and got some Gardein tacos and supplies for my upcoming baking adventure. Now my tummy is full and I can focus once again. Drum roll please...

This weeks V-Con challenge makes me think of a cooler Autumnal day, in other words perfect biking weather. The sweet potato and pear tzimmies would be a treat after a long day spent on the green belt cycling around watching the Frisbee golfers, the beautiful cranes flying over the many parks on the belt and all of the happy cyclists rolling up an over the many hills that make up the belt. I imagine I would come home, a bit tired but happy and would put together this wonderful side dish in order to heat up my house and appease my senses. The smell of the tzimmies in the oven is divine, an olfactory orgy. The vitamin packed sweet potatoes, the energy giving properties of the pecans, the subtle sweetness of the agave, all would be a welcoming dish for all of my senses to enjoy. I am painting this picture because although I really liked this dish the preparation and even the eating of it was not as joyous as I would have preferred. I had been painting my kitchen and making a cake as stated in an earlier post, went out with a friend and had a friend over for a visit so everything was a bit rushed and made with zero energy, I followed the recipe exactly and I wish I would have made a few slight changes. Next time Rikki, in Fall you will make this recipe and you will be delighted.

Sweet Potato and Pear Tzimmies with Pecans and Raisins
ingredients:
2 lbs Sweet Potato (I used three sweet potatoes and who knows how much they weighed?)
3 pears (I used two)
1 T. veggie oil
2 T. Mirin / Sweet cooking Wine (I used Sangiovese)
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1 T. Maple Syrup (I used agave)
3/4 cup Pecan halves
3/4 cup raisins



Put all ingredients sans raisins in a pan and cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1/2 hour. Remove from oven, uncover, add raisins and bake an additional 1/2 hour. Eat!






1 comment:

  1. There are so many recipes in the VCon that I need posts like this to show me the best ones. This sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete