19 March 2010

Fudgy Agave Brownies


Today was a good day. I got up early and ate a bagel with peanut butter and jelly, I did laundry, mowed the yard, worked out, helped my sister in a crisis, started a new book, "The Year of the Flood" by Margaret Atwood and baked the best brownies I have ever tasted. I wanted to do something for National Meat Out Day (tomorrow) and for my dear friends Alyssa and Owen with whom Timmy and I will be sharing our Meat Out day with. I wasn't really thinking of creating a new recipe, I just wanted a basic brownie that everyone would enjoy. Well upon close inspection of my fridge I noticed I was out of earth balance, I did not have any almond milk, nor did I have as much bittersweet chocolate as most of the recipes called for. This is when I got crafty and started tossing in what I thought would resemble a brownie mix and crossed my fingers hoping for a decent result. What I got was more than decent, it was glorious!

And now my friends, I share the recipe with you!




2 T. flax meal
1 cup filtered water
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 plus 2T. agave nectar
1/2 cup canola oil
1 tsp. pure bourbon vanilla extract
1/4 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup morello cherries

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees

In a blender mix flax meal and water until semi gooey. Combine flour and cocoa powder and set aside. In mixing bowl combine agave, canola oil and vanilla. Then add in flax mixture. Mix wet ingredients thoroughly then add dry and beat until it becomes a thick fudgy batter.

Pour into well greased 8x8 inch baking pan and top with chocolate chips and morello cherries. Bake for 30-35 minutes.

I get my morello cherries jarred at Trader Joe's and they are fantastic!


topped with Ricemellow

3 comments:

  1. OH MY GOD! You are going to make me so fat! I mean I just just read about your recipies- I HAVE to try each one. I can't wait to try this one. It looks amazing.

    Happy Meat Out Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oohhhhh yum. i haven't made vegan brownies yet, but i sure do make enough vegan cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1/2 plus 2T. agave nectar?! what does that mean?

    ReplyDelete