24 May 2010

Ask A Vegan! Pt. 3

Today for our Meatless Monday I am going to introduce all of you to Janet Hudson. I have been a fan of hers for quite some time now. The first time I "met" Janet was on Flickr. She had posted a photo of one of her cupcakes and I was floored. The flavor combinations and the decorating was astonishing. I immediately clicked on her profile and became infatuated. She had hundreds of photos of cookies, cakes, pies, salads and anything you could dream of eating was all there on her page. She is a goddess and bonafide wizard of the kitchen. I aspire to be one tenth the cook she is! That being said, I hope all of you check out her website and blog and discover for yourself the brilliant dishes she is creating.

Name: Janet Hudson
Age: Old Enough:)
Location: California



Website:
Check out....www.veganfeast.com, www.gonnagowalkthedog.vox.com, Wasabipeas@tumblr or tweet me.

How long have you been Vegan?
Since 1994

What made you decide to go Vegan?
Health reasons as well as morally.

How do you feel health wise with this diet choice?
Never felt better. Ever.

Are you open about your Veganism?
Oh Yessssssssssss.

If so, are you involved in any activism i.e. protests, leafleting etc
Sometimes as the need arises....probably should do more of that.


Janet's Norwich Terriers

What do your family, friends, co-workers think about your diet? Everyone respects it and I do what I can to be proactive about it with everyone.

What advice would you give those interested in becoming Vegan?
Take small steps...then you can realize the bigger ones aren't that big at all. Make small changes- margarine instead of butter, soy or nut milk instead of cow's...then go from there. Stay away from processed foods.



Black Bean soup

Would you eat at Mc Donald’s if they carried a Vegan burger?
Never.

What is your least favorite question that you are asked about your diet? How do you do it, it is so hard.....IT IS SO EASY!

What is your favorite dish?
Wow, I can honestly say that I do not have one- I can tell you that I do not like peas or lima beans though. That is a texture childhood thing I am afraid....

What do you typically eat at Thanksgiving?
I do not care to much for Tofurky....give me fresh vegetables any day. You can check out my FlickR stream for Thanksgiving feasts at our house.


pucker up lemon cupcake

If I could make you any flavor cupcake in the world what would it be?That is hard because you should know how much I love cupcakes by now. Right now I would say vanilla or lemon.

Please share your favorite Vegan recipe.
Here is a great focaccia bread recipe I do all the time...great for all sorts of celebrations, etc.:

2 packages active dry yeast
1 tsp raw sugar
1 ½ cup warm water
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 ½ tsp sea salt
5 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup red onion, thinly sliced
2 tsp oregano, minced

Dissolve yeast and sugar in 1 cup warm water- allow mixture to foam.
In a second bowl, mix rest of warm water with olive oil and salt. Add in the yeast mixture. Slowly add flour until dough forms. Transfer onto a floured board and knead 15 minutes until smooth. Place dough into an oiled bowl, turn to coat well and cover with towel- place in a warm area and allow rising until doubled, about an hour.

Pinch dough and knead 7 minutes. Add onion and oregano, mixing well. Roll out onto cookie sheet, cover, and allow rising again one more hour.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Drizzle dough with a little olive oil and sprinkle with oregano. Bake 15to 20 minutes or until brown. Cut and serve warm.


Janet with husband Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment